Following the recommended diet after gastric sleeve surgery doesn’t have to set you apart from your family at mealtimes. All of these easy recipes are healthy and delicious, not only helping you make your own lifestyle change but letting you share those benefits with everyone who sits at your table.
From breakfast to dessert, these recipes are sure to please:
Even few weeks following weight loss surgery, these smooth and nutritious treats are a great way to start the day.
● Mix together one cup of non-fat, plain Greek yogurt with ½ cup skim milk.
● Divide this mixture between ice pop molds, then add 1 cup berries or chopped fruit and ½ cup instant oatmeal.
● Freeze 4 hours or until firm and run the mold under warm water to release.
This elegant Italian dish can be pureed few weeks following a sleeve gastrectomy or cut into small pieces and then chewed thoroughly, in later phases.
● Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over one pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, then sprinkle with 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning.
● Grill chicken until a meat thermometer indicates it is fully cooked and the outside is browned; then melt a 1 oz slice of mozzarella cheese over each.
● Add one slice of ripe tomato, a pinch of fresh basil, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar to serve.
Classic Baked Chicken and Vegetables
Nothing satisfies like the homemade taste of baked chicken and vegetables. After gastric bypass surgery, you can still enjoy comfort foods like this.
● Preheat your oven to 400 degrees, then place 4 sliced potatoes, 6 sliced carrots, and 1 quartered onion in a roasting pan.
● Add 1 skinless chicken cut into pieces, arranged on top of the vegetable layer.
● Mix ½ cup of water, 1 teaspoon thyme, and ¼ teaspoon pepper, then pour over the chicken.
● Bake until brown and tender, approximately 1 hour.
This classic snack was always healthy when made at home, is still a great choice after bariatric surgery, and you can make it in just a few minutes!
● In a food processor, place 1 clove peeled garlic, a 15 oz can rinsed chickpeas, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, 3 tablespoons olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and 1 tablespoon tahini.
● Blend completely smooth, scraping the sides occasionally.
● Chill until ready to serve.
Crunchy Tuna Patties
These crispy delights are best served hot with a garnish of fat-free Greek yogurt and a squeeze of lemon. A quick gourmet meal after stomach bypass surgery is always a win.
● Mix together 4 cans of tuna packed in water, 4 egg whites, 8 small crushed wheat crackers, ¼ cup grated carrot, and 1 tablespoon minced onion.
● Season with pepper, dill, and dried mustard to taste, then form into 8 patties.
● Fry with nonstick cooking spray or a small amount of olive oil until brown on both sides.
Fruit Fluff Desert
This sweet treat can be prepared ahead of time for the right answer when a snack attack hits, keeping your surgical weight loss on track.
● Prepare 1 box of sugar-free gelatin and allow to set in the refrigerator.
● Take ½ cup of the gelatin and whip together with 2 tablespoons of Cool Whip Free when ready to serve.
Eating Better and Feeling Fantastic
Eating should be enjoyed, and fine tastes in moderation are the key to feeling better every day following your surgery. Taste the joy of feeling like your best self and bring these healthy foods to your family’s table tonight.
At Houston Sleeve Surgery Clinic, our understanding experts are standing by to discuss your best weight loss options. Contact us today to find out the many ways we can support your goals and empower a lifestyle change.
Disclaimer: This is only for general information. All patients should consult their doctors prior to following any of the recommendations in any articles and videos. All patients have individual needs and limitations of which only their treating physicians can be aware.