Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?
1st Choice Weight Loss in Houston, TX provides a full range of weight loss services, including bariatric surgery. Deciding whether surgery is appropriate for you requires a great deal of research, thought, and preparation. It’s important to consider the pros and cons, and then consult with a doctor before choosing to undergo a procedure.
The first step is to ask yourself whether you a qualify for an operation. Typically, you’re considered a candidate for surgery if you have:
- A Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or higher, regardless of whether your obesity has contributed to any other diseases
- A BMI of 35 or higher accompanied by serious complications such as diabetes, hypertension, or sleep apnea
- An inability to lose weight with other methods
Weight loss surgery is a major step. It demands a long-term commitment. It requires determination. Success depends on close cooperation with an experienced weight loss surgeon and a team of dedicated specialists. To determine whether you might be a candidate for weight loss surgery, ask yourself the following questions:
- Do you have a BMI of at least 40?
- Do you have a BMI of 35, along with serious medical conditions such as diabetes or hypertension?
- Have you tried conservative treatments and weight loss strategies yet failed to manage your weight?
- Are you willing to devote yourself to a long-term treatment plan?
- Are you willing to make long-term lifestyle changes, such as sticking to a diet and exercise regimen?
- Are you aware of the potential risks associated with surgical treatment? Are you willing to assume those risks?
- Are you a non-smoker?
- Do your friends and family support your decision? Do you have a supportive environment?
- Do you understand that long-term weight loss requires an ongoing commitment and continued compliance with your doctor’s treatment plan?
If you answered yes to the above questions, the next step is to contact the team of weight loss surgeons and specialists at 1st Choice Weight Loss in Houston, TX. Our goal is to help you receive the best care possible. To that end, we work closely with our patients to ensure they’re prepared for the rigors of surgery.
Before committing to a procedure, our surgeons will work with you to determine whether you’re qualified for a bariatric procedure. They’ll also discuss the potential risks, tell you about possible alternatives, and review the long-term strategy. With proper vetting and close collaboration, you and your surgeon can significantly increase the odds of success while minimizing the potential for complications.
Contact 1st Choice Weight Loss today to discuss your options for weight loss treatment!
Disclaimer: This is only for general information. All patients should consult their doctors prior to following any of the recommendations in any articles, post, or video. Every patient has individual needs and limitations that only their treating physicians can be aware of.